Sunday 3 October 2010

standing ovation

This week just past I went to see two totally unbelievable pieces of theatre. Seriously, they were amazing.


The first was Black Watch on Wednesday night.  I'd been wanting to check it out for a while, and every single review I'd seen for it had said it was brilliant.  So on a whim my Mum was able to get tickets for me, her and my dad to scoot off to see it that night at the SECC.  And the whole thing was phenominal.  Every single bit of it was totally brilliant acting from start to finish.  It was very very VERY sweary (i don't think a sentence went by without some expletitive in it) but it just felt so ral, and genuine.  you forgot you were watching actors in a play and got lost in the story.  I had some tears in my eyes towards the end too!


Then, on Friday night myself and my Mum went to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at the Theatre Royal.  Again, I'd heard a lot about the show and had been desparate to see it so was buzzing when my Mum was able to get tickets.  They were in the upper circle, row F or something, but I could see the stage fine so I wasn't too bothered.  And gain, I loved every single moment of it.  The dancing was outstanding - Matthew Bourne is a mastermind.  Of course the music was great, it's a given though.  And the costumes were out of this world.  Simply stunning.  The male swan costume if obviously iconic now but I think my personal  favourite was a purple dress the Queen wore-  very Dior's New Look.
And it was so emotional!  It got really sad towards the end, and I was just holding it together, but the very last second is just utterly heart wrenching, and I almost bawled like a baby.  Almost!

All in all, two stunning shows, which fully deserved the standing ovations they got.

No comments:

Post a Comment